RE: [Metadata] Academic involvement in Metadata

The joys of terminology!  Sorry to be confusing. The point I'm coming from
is that we are considering incorporating dublin core elements into a
catalogue, which academics can search to select materials for reading lists.
So we are not using metadata per se, rather we are using the elements to
enhance standard bibliographic data. All well and good, but it is not clear
that there is any demand from academic staff for this enhanced information.
It's this last point I'm interested in - theoretically speaking, is there
justification for doing this if there is no demand. (Practically speaking, I
think there are good reasons for doing it, but I can't find any data from
academic staff to support it!)

Helen