Re: [Ref-Links] Re: [Discuss-DOI] Open for Business

Tony,           I wonder whether you have any specific models in mind for
open linking? There is a long legacy of work in the hypertext community on
open linking, including Hyper-G as Arthur points out, much of which is
still ongoing. Initiatives such as OpenURL have acknowledged a debt to this
work. It's true that open linking has not created as much impact as the
Web's 'dumbed down' linking, and there is a degree of resentment about
that, but the work has raised many of the issues you refer to and should
not be ignored.

Steve Hitchcock
Open Citation (OpCit) Project <http://opcit.eprints.org/>
IAM Research Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ,  UK
Email: sh94r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel:  +44 (0)23 8059 3256     Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865