[Ref-Links] linkbaton and DOI

I wanted to give the DOI community advance notice that we'll be
unveiling LinkBaton this week.

LinkBaton is an identifier-based virtual linking service. It's best
to try it out to see what it does.

Try these

http://linkbaton.com/get?genre=book&item=0262011808  (Digital Libraries)

http://linkbaton.com/get?genre=book&item=0380731614  (Link)

http://linkbaton.com/get?genre=book&item=0062515861  (Weaving the web)

Notice what you don't see the second time. We'd be very interested to
get some real feedback from fresh, friendly, users.

Once you see what we do with ISBN's, you'll agree that the
combination of DOI, LinkBaton, and something like SFX to receive the
links on the library side will be extremely interesting. The linking
architecture I see is circular (and non-reciprocal). Publishers
(defined very broadly) may find it easiest to point article links at
LinkBaton, which will ship them to a users' library (defined very
broadly), which will present resources to users. Library systems will
use tools like DOI and Link.Openly to point to resources at
publishers and aggregators. These resources may in turn link out via
DOI/LinkBaton's

Please don't hesitate to contact me  or Albert Simmonds if you have
questions about LinkBaton.

Eric
Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.