[Ref-Links] RE: [Discuss-DOI] RFC: IDEAL Objects Demonstrator

Tony; this looks interesting and I look forward to seeing others comments.

My only immdediate comment, which is a slight caveat but something which you
are doubtless aware of (I know Ed Pentz is, for Crossref), is that in the
full implementation of DOI - of which Crossref is a first implementation for
journal articles - a requirement is an unambiguous descriptive metadata set
to uniquely describe, and enable recognition of, the entity which is
identified.   (DOI is essentially a Handle with the addition of such key
policies relating to associated metadata).  In this case it seems the entity
being "handled" is a serial (issue??) (a serial by the way is not an easy
entity to describe in any ontology, as the library world is well aware,
though it can be done in the indecs model and hence EPICS/ONIX and I know
that a few months ago a discussion on this took place - I believe at the
ISSN meeting through Brian Green of BiC who is involved in EPICS).  So if
DOIs for serials are to be used in an application, we need to define the
Genre for what it is you would wish to identify.  In the case of serials,
this is a question which I know is being considered by ISSN, by further
discussions of ISSN scope in their "seriality" paper which extends the
concept to "ongoing entities - which may be too wide a scope in my view - (I
understand this paper exists but haven't seen a copy); and by EPICS/ONIX (at
least).  I have also recently raised again with ISSN a proposal for DOI
usage which would interoperate with the ISSN serials database and am
awaiting their response to this.

All of this is to say that the resolution experimentation re serials is very
interesting, and should be encouraged, but that if we want to convert this
to a real application the business issues of description/scope need to be
dealt with as well.

Norman