[Ref-Links] what people pay for link placement in search engines

To embellish on my previous post, I thought I'd add the price per
click that people are paying for the top spot at goto.com of the
keywords I checked:

$/click 	KEYWORD             GOOGLE'S TOP RATED SITE
at GoTo
$1.51	"research"           The Materials Research Society http://www.mrs.org/
$0.70 	"engineering"        mechanical engineering home page
http://www.memagazine.org/
$0.66	"medicine"            Nature Medicine: Home http://medicine.nature.com/
$0.56	"science"              Space Telescope Science Institute Home
Page http://www.stsci.edu/
$0.53	"semiconductor"   MRS Internet J. of Nitride Semicond. Res.
http://nsr.mij.mrs.org/
$0.49	"psychology"        Journal of Pediatric Psychology
http://jpepsy.oupjournals.org/
$0.44	"chemistry"         Journal of Biological Chemistry http://www.jbc.org/
$0.37	"nature"               Nature Medicine: Home
http://medicine.nature.com/
$0.31	"physics"             Univ. of Pennsylvania
http://dept.physics.upenn.edu/
$0.28	"mathematics"      Society for Industrial and Applied
Mathematics http://www.siam.org/

  (goto.com is a search engine that allows sites to bid on the top
spot in the results page for a specific search term. )

The point of the post was NOT to suggest that Google is the right
search solution for researchers (although libraries may like the
price of $-0.01 per search (yes, they pay you to use it!)) but rather
that link-generated placement in Google will come to generate
significant collateral revenue for savvy publishers.

Eric

(I've turned this into a web page at http://www.openly.com/placement.html )
Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.