From: tony_hammond@harcourt.com [mailto:tony_hammond@harcourt.com]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 3:09 PM
To: discuss-doi@doi.org; ref-links@doi.org
Subject: [Discuss-DOI] Open for Business

Here's a forward take on DOI. Talks to the scope issue.

What do we get when a DOI is "resolved"? Right now we get  a URL. Looks
like a link. But it's not. It's just part of a link, a link component.
Where you end up after following (or traversing) a link. So, today content
providers are using DOI technology to effectively "publish" their link
targets (or destinations).

<snip />

Now what if? What if instead of publishing just the link targets, we get to
"publish" complete links, ie we expose to public view the actual links.

<snip />