Re: [Ref-Links] linkbaton and DOI

At 10:28 AM +0100 1/13/00, herbert van de sompel wrote:
>To ensure there is no misunderstanding regarding SFX and LinkBaton, I
>want to point out that:
>* the LinkBaton REDIRECTION COMPONENT (shipping mechanism) is a
>rendering of the SFX REDIRECTION COMPONENT presented under another name
>and using another syntax.
>* The LinkBaton SERVICE COMPONENT does not build on the technology used
>by the SFX SERVICE COMPONENT.

We think of LinkBaton as an atomic, user-driven redirection service.
I'm flattered that you consider that we have a "service component" at
all, especially compared to SFX.

The "transport" mechanism in SFX can be compared to a direct flight
between two big cities, while the transport in LinkBaton can be
compared to a hub-and-spoke system. Herbert has spent a lot of time
on the Albuquerque-to-Brussels route, so he can be forgiven for not
liking hub-and-spoke.

>In order for a shipping mechanism to be widely accepted by the
>information industry, its syntax will have to be "standardized".  Eric
>Hellman and I have recently been in touch about this.

The economic benefits of having airplanes that are compatible with
both transport systems are compelling.

>I look forward to bringing you further news about SFX as new
>implementations get underway.
>
>herbert van de sompel

Eric Hellman, President                            Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric@openly.com                                    10 Columbus Ave., Suite C
tel 1-973-509-7800 fax 1-734-468-6216              Montclair, NJ 07042
21st Century Information Infrastructure            http://www.openly.com/